Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fresh Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies

There is just nothing more comforting than a home made, fresh baked chocolate chip cookie. Ive been making these since middle school, and even then I remember the kids in my class making a big deal out of them. As though it were yesterday I remember a good friend of mine, who remains a close friend today, looking at me very seriously while chomping down on a cookie, and saying, almost in a whisper, "these are better than my moms". I took that to be the highest of praise, esp from a 12 year old boy. Since then, making cookies has always been one of my favorite things to do, though I rarely make them due to, well...all of the hours at the gym Id have to make up if I did. However, as my office is entering into our insanely busy time, I thought that my co workers deserved a treat. So last night I ran to the grocery store to pick up some missing ingredients, and set to work on my cookies.

Ill tell you the secret of my chocolate chip cookies- I'm not scared. I use the recipe on the back of the Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chips. Its out there for the world to see. I love these cookies- they are soft without being cakey. I am strongly opposed to a cake like cookie-if I wanted cake- Id eat cake. Why am I eating cake when I want a cookie? But at the same time- completely crisp cookies don't thrill me either. Too crunchy and Ill only eat a bite. So I need that perfect combination of soft, chewy and cookie like. Of course to achieve this, the perfect amount of butter is needed-hence my sporadic nature of making them.

I wont site the whole recipe here- its on a bag of chocolate chips in your nearest grocery store- but I will tell you my other secret. I don't make JUST chocolate chip cookies (hold the nuts thank you)- I make special ones. I add a healthy dose of Heath Bar chips. They add this great caramel flavor, enhance the chew factor and make my cookie eating friends say- "oooh what is that?". My mom and I learned this trick years ago- and I have to say, to this day, Ive never seen Chocolate Chip Heath Bar cookies anywhere else. Have we discovered a great new cookie? If you go off and make these for yourselves, readers, please-let me know what you think!

I do know that I need to broaden my cookie making abilities, as these little pieces of heaven are really all that I ever make as they are my favorite. However, last spring I got to have some amazing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies...they were outstanding. And so maybe its time for me to start more experiment with textures and flavors within my baking...hmmmmm

No comments:

Restaurant Reviews: A dead art?

Last December I declared 2023 the year I would return to food writing.  It was a bold statement (even now as I look at my last published dat...